Here are some common VPN terms you lot may come across and what they mean.
– Your Internet access provider (Internet service provider) is the company you pay for access to the internet. Big UK ISPs include the likes of SKY, BT, Plusnet and TalkTalk.
– A automobile (concrete or virtual) that serves a reckoner (your laptop or smartphone) with the resources, data, services, or programs they enquire for.
– The process of creating a secure and private channel of communication between a user (you) and a website or service.
– The power to send information from different apps to different servers through split up tunnels. For instance, you might use i tunnel for your spider web browser and another for your Netflix app.
– In VPN parlance, a log is a record of your online activity. Every VPN in our all-time VPNs for 2022 list has a strict no-log policy, which means they don’t keep records of how you apply them and therefore tin’t be ordered to paw them over to anyone else.
– The process of translating information into code that can’t be deciphered without the correct encryption keys.
Megabits per second (Mbps)
– Units used to measure download and upload speeds. Megabits per 2d is an expression of the amount of digital information transferred from ane terminal to another in one 2nd.
– DNS stands for Domain Name Servers. A DNS translates a web address similar forbes.com into a cord of numbers. When y’all type a web accost into your web browser, you make a request to a DNS and it returns the corresponding string of numbers your spider web browser needs to visit the website.
– When you use a VPN, DNS requests as described above should exist encrypted and sent through a ‘tunnel’. It’south possible that this data can ‘leak’ from the tunnel if your VPN doesn’t properly protect y’all or was misconfigured, exposing details of the website y’all visit to your ISP and other third parties.
– A protocol is way of doing things. A VPN protocol is a prepare of rules that determine how a VPN application connects to a server. Some protocols offer faster download speeds than others, while others are more secure or offer a balance between speed and security.
– A VPN impale switch automatically disconnects you from the internet in the event your VPN connection is lost. This protects you from temporarily exposing unencrypted data.
– Some VPN services allow you to connect from your computer to another server via a server in the eye as an boosted layer of security. For example, you might connect to a server in Germany and and so connect to a server in Canada via that German server.